Saturday, September 20, 2008

CBZ Update

My beloved bike recently achieved the 30k milestone without any major glitches. I got the timing chain replaced once and so were the front shocks and rim after an accident. But that’s about the only major repair the bike underwent apart from some cosmetic ones like the front fairing and side panels. My bike has been running exceptionally well of late, the engine having become used to my riding mannerisms (red lining almost every time before up shifting, testing the top speed twice every day while crossing DND flyway, wheelie-ing and burning out when possible etc etc). The best part is that it’s held true to the original CBZ character with a rev-happy engine, super-cool engine growl and a sweet exhaust note. I don’t even mind the excess vibrations. In fact I hate the silky smooth Hondas and Hero Hondas and even the Pulsars lack the feel – vibrations, noise, sheer drama and exhilaration, the ability to make you feel like Valentino Rossi! The CBZ just doesn’t seem to fit in the boring Hero Honda family picture. The new CBZ Xtreme might, but is it even worth having the CBZ tag? Don’t think so. Apart from all that, I just love that ticking sound that comes from the muffler when you shut down the engine after having a good hard ride. And I’m pretty ok with the mileage I achieve after all the hard-revving. The thing I like best is that other bikes might go faster(including JK's P150), but the “feel” (I don’t know what else to call it!) is definitely the one thing that keeps the CBZ a firm favourite for me. I don’t even regret selling my RX-100 anymore.

A few new happenings on this front…

1. My bike’s been touching top speeds of 120kph since the last servicing. Now, I won’t really bet on the accuracy of the speedo readings, but my good friend JK who happens to ride a Pulsar 150 DTSI, says this might well be pretty close to the actual speed. His P150 can’t do any better than 100-105kph (again taking into confidence his speedo readings) and my CBZ beats his P150 hands down on the DND flyway, the tacho needle playing touch-and-go with the red line@9300rpm as the speedo nudges 120kph.

2. I used to have a very stiff riding stance earlier which I thought was good. I used to lean hard onto the handlebar and have a tight grip on the fuel tank with my legs. I thought that was sporty. But this stance actually hurt my back and wrists in the long run. Now I have consciously changed my stance to a more relaxed one with a straighter back and less pressure on the handlebar. And it’s been working wonders for me. No more pain in the back and wrists and much improved handling. I still clutch the fuel tank hard while braking though, coz it makes braking a lot easier and the bike more stable while decelerating.

3. As a result of this change in riding position, I have been able to achieve better cornering speeds as well. I now love to take the exit towards Noida Sector 18 on DND and also the exit towards Sarita Vihar on the Modi Mills Flyover faster than ever before, at times even touching 70kph while taking the “ρ” exit.


In short, as McDonald’s puts it, I’M LOVING IT!!!

7 comments:

  1. dude.. u shud know by now that the ticking noise ain;t from the engine but from the muffler.. anyways, i think i feel the same about my bike too.. i just need to run the new timing gears a bit more then let's have a race..

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are right.. they don;t make bikes like that anymore.. the sicko gulsars cannot compete at all.. the handling of the cbz is amazing.. when you corner it, you feel that the bike is part of you and the task becomes effortless.. i remember how i enjoyed an occasional sojourn on sammy's cbz. yes, the vibrations that creep in at mid rpms is also nice and gives the bike an identity of it's own. i have never felt as confident on a gulsar or any other bike (except my own)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanx for correcting me about the ticking noise...u'r right it comes from the muffler...
    and it would be niiiice to have a showdown someday...sluurrppp....

    ReplyDelete
  4. people ... spare a thought for me !!!
    i dont have a bike ....
    can nyone ... buy me R1 !!
    pzlplz

    ReplyDelete
  5. do u even have a US driving license psycho dear??

    ReplyDelete
  6. imagine ... gogoi sir getting Umreicas license

    ReplyDelete