Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The (mis)adventures of my spectacles

Last week I had to spend almost 4000 bucks to get myself 2 new pairs of spectacles because I had just broken the 8th pair in my life. And this is the first time I got 2 at a time as I seem to have become prone to losing/breaking my spectacles with an alarming regularity of late. So I just want to have a backup pair ready in case another such mishap takes place in the future.

I know most of my friends, family, colleagues and fellow bloggers wear either spectacles or contact lenses. When I look at a group photo of mine, its usually the bespectacled who outnumber the not-so-spectacled ones. I wear specs. Both my parents use reading glasses. Listed fellow bloggers are all certified specs/lens wearers. So are most of the Shanky_PP and SPDSPD (a group of 6,details of which you can find on my Orkut communities page) members. I think its fair enough to say that we would in fact be incomplete without these extensions of our body form. Well, almost.

I've been wearing specs since I was 15 and this piece of blog is dedicated to the numerous specs I've worn over the years, and broken!

Eyeglasses used to be equated with learned and profound men. Over the years, eyeglasses have become more like fashion accessories and don't remain just a medium of visual correction. I, of course, can claim to be neither profound, nor fashionable. I wear eyeglasses for the simple reason that without them I cannot read a book from 3 feet. Yesterday, I had to spend the entire day without my specs as I made the painful mistake of leaving them at home when leaving for office. I cannot insist enough the alleviation I felt when I reached back home and put them atop my nose. Ah, the clarity of vision provided by this noble invention of a noble man is such a blessing for us, the "visually challenged". You know the first thing I treated myself with with my first paycheck? It was a pair of power-sunglasses! I had begged daddy dear to get me a pair of power-sunglasses a number of times earlier. But again, to him its just a piece of fashion accessory and not something that can protect your eyes in the strong sun and wind. And these very power-sunglasses saved me from a certain tragedy yesterday. I could drive back home only because of them. Although I did have to leave office a little early so that I could get back home before dark or I would have looked like a complete jerk wearing sunglasses in the late evening (almost night!).

I'd like to ask people about different ways they've managed to break/crack/pulverize/lose their eyeglasses. I'll list here a few of my own. So, here goes...

  1. The easiest one probably - sit on them as lay quietly on the bed/chair/table etc.
  2. Hide them safely and forget where you  hid them.
  3. Vent your anger on them.
  4. Make them fall from an unsafe height.
  5. Ride your bike with them hanging by the collar/neck/V of your T-shirt, reach home and find them missing from the collar/neck/V of your T-shirt (this is how I lost my last one!).

Hope this would bring back some life to my blog after an extended hibernation!

I even found this bit of poetry while googling around...

An Ode to Spectacles - by William Cow

Between Nose and Eyes a strange contest arose-
The spectacles set them unhappily wrong;
The point in dispute was, as all the world knows,
To which the said spectacles ought to belong.

So Tongue was the lawyer, and argued the cause
With a great deal of skill, and a wig full of learning;
While chief baron Ear sat to balance the laws,
So famed for his talent in nicely discerning.

In behalf of the Nose, it will quickly appear,
And your lordship, he said, will undoubtedly find
That the Nose has had spectacles always in wear,
Which amounts to possession time out of mind.

Then holding the spectacles up to the court-
Your lordship observes they are made with a straddle
As wide as the ridge of the Nose is; in short,
Designed to sit close to it, just like a saddle.

Again, would your lordship a moment suppose?
(‘Tis a case that has happened, and may be again)
That the visage or countenance had not a nose;
Pray who would, or could, wear spectacles then?

On the whole it appears- and my argument shows,
With reasoning the court will never condemn,
That the spectacles plainly were made for the Nose,
And the nose was as plainly intended for them.

Then, shifting his side (as a lawyer knows how),
He pleaded again on behalf of the Eyes;
But what were his arguments few people know,
For the court did not think they were equally wise.

So his lordship decreed with a grave solemn tone,
Decisive and clear, without one if or but-
That whenever the Nose put his spectacles on,
By daylight or candlelight- Eyes should be shut.

12 comments:

  1. dude..add one more to the list of how to lose ur glasses...sleep at a public place..with the specs hanging from ur shirt.. (this is how I lost my last one when I was sleeping at Madrid airport)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is 'trés originale', just that it applies to "getting rid" of your glasses, rather than just losing them unintentinally....
    So, you can literally "chew" your glasses, play badminton with them, OR if even that doesn't suffice..... you can actually Hide them under a pile of "cement", to make sure that stray dogs look after them!!!!!
    I actually know of someone who's done that ALL!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @nishith..nice one..pretty original as well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @deeksha..is the "someone" u'r referring to ur own kid bro..coz i wont be one bit surprised..lolz..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. You got it! There weren't any bonus points for guessing it right though!! ;)
    The "someone" very much IS my own kid brother... "Daksh Sharma"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glasses are not fashion accessories anymore.. They r the sign of a nerd!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Is that supposed to hurt!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. U need to ask an expert like me for such things buddy :)

    Here's how the last three ended up

    1. Take a nice shower with Chasma on, and then as u shake ur head to shake off the water from ur kale ghane baal; u will realize (u cant see for ur virtual eyes are already off) that ur chasma has suddenly flown off to get itself headbanged on the nearby wall.

    2. U keep ur Chasma beneath the pillow and then u r off to a peaceful sleep. In ur sleep u turn and put ur head on ur elbow, which was resting harmlessly on the pillow; the rest is u-know-what.... a tchk sound which makes u aware of the fact that when u wear ur specs in the morning, u can surely claim to b of those 'mirror cracking material' kinda dudes ;)

    3. Ur Chasma has grown old and like old missus, u dont treat it well. The screws are tight enough, but u dont care, for the spec is old. However thr comes a time when u bow down to pick a chavvani and see ur oldies jumping off ur nose and ears and banging into the floor head (ok lens) on. U can curse urself, curse the floor, curse entire humanity but as Baba Sehgal wld have crooned 'Jo hona tha ho gaya'.

    Rest later

    Take care (of ur specs)

    ReplyDelete
  9. finally..long awaited "expert comments" from Dr.SC..

    the shower scene was pretty interesting!!although i've never felt the need to have 6/6 vision while cleaning myself up..lolz..

    ReplyDelete
  10. @scurvy..i know aap "bade log" hain aur contacts lagate hain..mat bhoolna aap bhi kabhi hamari tarah chashmish hote thhe aur nerd dikhte thhe..

    ReplyDelete